|ABOUT US: OUR PARISH PROFILE
A GOOD PLACE TO LIVE
Our Parish lies in a crescent about eight miles long and six miles wide
just south of Cupar in the centre of rural Fife. It can easily be
reached by road (the nearby A91 and A914) and by rail (local services
to Cupar and Springfield, and East Coast main-line trains at Leuchars).
Statistics from the 2001 census show that there were 1068 households in
the Parish. Of these, about four hundred and thirty belong to the Civil
Parish of Ceres, in and around a conservation village with the oldest
Highland Games in the world. About four hundred are in the locality of
Springfield on the banks of the river Eden, still with its own railway
station. The rest are in the Civil Parish of Kemback, spread over a
number of scattered settlements which include the pretty village of
Blebocraigs, and the geologically important valley of Dura Den.
In general character, this is a pleasant, settled area of scattered
villages, large country houses, prosperous farms, rolling hills and
woodland. Farming and tourism play an important part in the local
economy, and in recent years many people have chosen the area for their
retirement, or as a place from which to commute to nearby towns.
Ceres and Springfield have local shops. For household shopping, Cupar
is the nearest centre, full of pleasant surprises. Not far away lies
the city of Dundee, and we are only an hour away from Edinburgh.
Golfers will find the surrounding area well served, notably by the
famous courses in St Andrews. The university town has many other
attractions: bookshops, concerts, lectures and the Byre Theatre, and
the University Sports Centre is open to the general public. Cupar,
Ceres and Pitscottie between them offer a variety of eating places to
cater for all tastes.
There are three primary schools within the Parish, at Springfield,
Craigrothie and Ceres. Secondary pupils attend Bell-Baxter School in
Cupar, or Madras College in St Andrews. Private schooling is provided
by Dundee High School, and by St Leonards School, St Andrews. General
Practitioners' Surgeries are located at the Adamson Hospital in Cupar,
and at the Health
Centre in St Andrews (located in the new hospital on the outskirts of
the town). For major medical facilities, patients travel to Ninewells
Hospital in Dundee, the Victoria Hospital in
Kirkcaldy, or to Queen Margaret's Hospital in Dunfermline. Stratheden, Fife's main psychiatric hospital, lies within the Parish.
The Parish is served by three churches, in Ceres, Kemback and
Springfield. Worship is offered in Ceres every Sunday, and in alternate
weeks in Kemback and Springfield . There is an active Sunday School at
Ceres. The Church Guild meets regularly in Kemback church hall in Dura
Den. A Church newsletter comes out every three months, and there is a
The present United Parish is in the Presbytery of St Andrews. Ceres and
Springfield united in 1990. Kemback had been for some time part of a
linked charge with other Parishes. The United Parish of Ceres, Kemback
and Springfield was established in April 2005. At the end of 2008, our
Roll of Members and Adherents numbered 458, with 44 on the
The church in Ceres stands on an ancient site, and was last rebuilt in
1806. In an elevated position in the centre of the village, its spire
can be seen for miles around. It still contains
its original box-pews.
In Kemback, there has been a church since the thirteenth century. The
present, third, church, is popular for weddings and baptisms. It is
hidden in woodland above Dura Den,
and was built in 1814, although the bell is much older, having welcomed worshippers for some 400 years.
Springfield Church with its attractive fašade and spacious interior was
built in 1861, and renovated in 1970. It can boast a group of four
impressive memorial windows, recently restored. Springfield Church has
excellent acoustics; a Parish Christmas concert here in 2008 was highly
Springfield celebrated its 150th anniversary in 2011. Pictures of memorabilia and events may be seen at http://flic.kr/p/b6fobv
The manse, which has recently been carefully upgraded, is situated at
the heart of the parish, in the conservation village of Ceres.
The community at large supports a variety of recreational and sporting
organisations for all ages. There are three Elected Community Councils
active in the Parish, working with Fife Council on a number of local
issues. Springfield, Craigrothie, Ceres and Blebocraigs each have
well-supported village halls. In general, we are proud of our locality
and our Parish: it is a good place to live.
Jan 2009/Sept 2011